Motif 1.2.x & X11R5

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Wed Jan 12 09:56:44 EST 1994

It appears that the line has been drawn and we definitely have a
clear set of opposing views.

My main point is that if GRASS is to be considered a free, public
domain product then all of its component parts must not rely on
proprietary sub-components.  To do otherwise is to destroy the initial
statement.

For example, if I wrote a command script for a commercial product and
simply advertised it as "public domain,"  I would be deceiving
potential users as to its true, general usefulness.  I think they would
less than happy after getting a copy of this product and finding that
they also had to have a $$$... system to use it.

To be sure, we have put a caveat as to operating system for our
public domain products, but with the advent of Linux, even than
argument has been removed.

Again, I feel that CERL was ill-advised to link GRASS with Motif
and that this seriously detracts from the claim of free/public-domain.
There are acceptable alternative which could put GRASS back
into this category.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027