grass4.0/grass3.0 color tables

Wang Song wang at cast.uark.edu
Wed Jan 12 12:21:40 EST 1994

> Does anyone have or know of a utility program that converts
> GRASS4.0 color tables back into the old GRASS3.0 color table
> format?

	GRASS3.0 color table design used arrays to store a color for each data
value between the minmum and maximum values in the raster map, which is ARC/INFO
recognized format, while GRASS4.0 represent color tables as linear ramps for
intervals of data values. Colors are specified for the endpoints of each
interval.

	Since GRASS color files are in simple multi-column plain ASCII format,
you could make changes based on above rules by using a text editor or writing a
small UNIX macro or C program. Let me know if you have any problem to do this.

> I'm trying to display GRASS layers in ARC-INFO (gasp! Can I say
> that word on this list?) and it appears that the ARC-INFO image
> command can only display GRASS layers that have the old color table
> format.

> Jerry Ballard                              TEL: (601) 634-2946
> Environmental Characterization Branch
> Environmental Laboratory
> USACE Waterways Experiment Station
> Vicksburg, MS 39180