Concurrent d.rast

Davide Frisoni frisoni at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Jul 6 11:36:25 EDT 1994

In article <9407050852.AA02085 at itd0.dsto.gov.au>, you write:
|> I have a problem trying to display graphics to several monitors simultaneously.
|> What I have done is started a number of monitors, and then written a script
|> which contains instructions like:
|>
|> 	d.mon select=x0
|> 	d.rast <map1>&
|> 	d.mon select=x1
|> 	d.rast <map2>&
|> 	etc
|>
|> Each 'd.rast' command spawns a separate process, but these seem to interfere
|> with each other, with the result that some monitors wind up blank. Questions:
|> (a) Am I trying to do something which the X driver does not support? I have
|> noticed that most demo scripts write to graphics monitors in a sequential
|> fashion (still on release 4.0, btw)
|> (b) What happens if different users, on different X terminals, all try to
|> display at once - do they receive concurrent or sequential service?
|>
|> --
|> Conn V Copas
|> Information Technology Division
|> Defence Science and Technology Organisation
|> PO Box 1500
|> Salisbury            tel: +61 (0)8 25 95349
|> SA  5108             fax: +61 (0)8 25 96781
|> Australia       e-mail: cvc at itd.dsto.gov.au
|> -------------------------------------------

I've tried the follow:

d.mon start=x0
g.region region=<1^region>
d.mon start=x1
g.region region=<2^region>
d.mon sel=x0
d.mon sel=x0;d.rast <1^map>&;d.mon sel=x1;d.rast <2^map>&

it works 'fine' and concurrently with different region setted!
I've surrounded the word fine because sometimes a location error occurs (I used maps in
different mapset).
I Hope this help you.
good luck,
                                                --FRY

    .  __
.'`' `'  \
|_/\    /     Davide Frisoni                      |  e-mail(internet):
    \  o|     Forschungsinstitut fuer anwendungs- |  frisoni at faw.uni-ulm.de
  _  |   \    orientierte Wissensverarbeitung-FAW |
 | |  \   \   Helmholzstr. 16                     |  Tel.:  +49-731-501.8626
 |_|   \   \  D-89081 Ulm, Germany                |  FAX:   +49-731-501.929
        | | \|
  ____ /_/
  \._/