Compiling GRASS4.1.5 on Redhat 4.0 (Linuc 2.0.18)

Lawrence Houston grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 14 07:00:00 EST 1996

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Henry Shin wrote:

> I am trying to run GRASS 4.1.5 on Linux with Kang's binary distribution.
> Everything seems to run fine except a few commands like r.support,
> r.reclass, and perhaps more. I got the following error:
> /usr/extra/grass4.1/etc/gis_set: can't load library 'libcurses.so.
>
> My linux system has the following configuration:
> kernel 2.0.18
> gcc 2.7.2
> libc 5.3.12
> ncurses 1.9.9e
>
> I downloaded the libc5.0.9 including the curses library which Kang had
> used for his binaries and installed them. Then, I a got different error
> message: /usr/local/grass/etc/gis_set: can't resolve symbol
> '__waddbytes'.
>
> Are there ways to make Kang's binaries work without compiling my own
> binaries?

Henry:

I have NO experiecne Compiling GRASS under Linux, but then your probably
do NOT need the extra effort of "patching" the GRASS Code for Linux!  I
have successfully run Kang's 4.1.5 ELF Binaries under both Red Hat 3.0.3 &
4.0 by installing the Curses Library:

     ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/misc/libcurses-1.0-1.i386.rpm

With the more recent C Libraries (as used by Red Hat 3.0.3 & 4.0) the
Curses Library was dropped in favor of the NCurses Library?  Hence the
reason why moving back to version 5.0.9 of the C Library clears gis_set's
complaint!

Lawrence Houston  -  (grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca)