Device Drivers

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Aug 15 08:00:00 EDT 1997

Hello Danielle

On Aug 14,  6:24pm, Danielle Gordiano Valente wrote:
> Subject: Device Drivers
> Hello,
>
> I have been downloaded the Solaris release version 4.1 of GRASS, but the
> files
> .../grass4.1/dev/fifo.xx came with zero bytes of length.

The fifo files are actually UNIX pipes which are supposed to have a length of
zero. What concerns me though is the listing you provided does not indicate
that the fifo files are pipes.

> -rw-rw-rw-   1 dgv      alunos         0 Mar 23  1994 fifo.1b

The permissions should have a "p" at the beginning like so

prw-rw-rw-   1 dgv      alunos         0 Mar 23  1994 fifo.1b

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with creating pipe files or how you would
go about fixing this problem. I'm also not familiar with the Solaris release
since we compiled GRASS on our SGI machine. Maybe a sysadmin from your office
or someone else on this list can further help you. At least you know that the
files are supposed to be zero length.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. Hope this helps somewhat.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center