[GRASS5] GRASS 5 difficulties

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Wed Dec 15 12:31:10 EST 1999

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 09:51:53AM -0600, Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu wrote:
> What problems?  Please respond to me personally.

I think that discussing difficulties should be possible in public of the
developers, too.  And yes I had my difficulties with working with Baylor.

There is also improvement. And Markus basically held my hopes up.

Being a German and a very critical one I could rant for a long
time about weaknesses and things to improve. You should keep in
mind that there is a cultural gap sometimes. I guess that Americans
tend to stress the positive side of matters a little bit more.
For Germans it can be even a sign of sympathy if they take the time
to critize you.

To give an example:
I was surprised that you announced that computer for
GRASS Developers which was basically useless, when I checked it out.
You have been mentioning the plans to set this up for a couple of month
and it never happened. I know that it is a contribution and you
volenteeringly work on it without an obligation.
It would not have been a problem if you did not promise it on
the first hand. :)

We all are working on GRASS on a volenteeringly basis, we should try
to be honest to each other and have some fun together.

Cheers,
	Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)