[GRASS5] New GRASS 5 beta5j - take this for release

Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:33:26 EST 1999

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 08:15:10PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > the "final call for updates" for the next release of
> > GRASS was successfull, I received numerous bugfixes
> > yesterday and today!
> Great.
> It is good to see GRASS development accelerating.
> We should think about making it an official GNU project.

Yes it is great that things are going well.  However, making GRASS a gnu
project would not be in the best interest of the community.  GRASS is a
specialized piece of software that is not suited for general public use.  Rich

Shephard had a good bit to say about this in the general GRASS Users
forum.  We tend to agree that we should keep GRASS under our control
rather than turn it over to the Gnu project.

> > - several code patches from Berhard Reiter for DUAlpha
> They were mostly general cleanup.
> The main advantage here is, that I can use a different but
> still high quality C compiler.
>
> May I remind you again, that C++ comments are _not_ ANSI-C!
> Please do not use them.

Yep!