[GRASS5] little bugs...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Fri Nov 26 21:39:36 EST 1999

Today I had an elevation data day with GRASS.

Using 5beta4 for the alphas here, I run into quite a few little
problems. (Which of course I didn't had time to fix.)

I had a couple of floating point errors. I will list them, so
that someone can give that a spin and tell me, if this is an error here
on the alphas or not.

I was inporting elevation data out of the GTOPO30 database,
available from
http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/landdaac/gtopo30/gtopo30.html

Importing and setting the -9990 to "no data" worked for
e100n90.tar.gz   and e100n40.tar.gz.

But e060n90.tar.gz  gives me a floating point error.

>r.null map=dem3new setnull=-9999
Writing new data for [dem3new]... Floating point exception (core dumped)
> gdb ../grass-5.0b/etc/bin/main/cmd/r.null core
GDB 4.13 (alpha-dec-osf3.0), Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation,
Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `r.null'.
Program terminated with signal 8, Floating point exception.
Reading symbols from /usr/shlib/libm.so...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/shlib/libc.so...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
#0  0x12000a714 in mask_match_d_interval ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x12000a714 in mask_match_d_interval ()
#1  0x12000a690 in mask_d_select ()
#2  0x12000a5bc in mask_raster_array ()
#3  0x12000a328 in doit ()
#4  0x12000a070 in process ()
#5  0x120009b4c in main ()

Maybe someone can try to do the same steps on a different machine and
tell me, if this is related to my machine or to the data.

And then r.contour bombs:
> r.contour input=subset output=contour step=500
Warning: Long   is size 8
Reading data.
Percent complete:  100%
FPRange of data:    min =  427.000000 max = 5242.000000
Minimum level will be 500.000000
Maximum level will be 5000.000000
Continue?(y/n) [y] y
Total levels:   10   Current level: Floating point exception

Not nice.
Well I just guess that GRASS is not ready for the alpha yet. :)
Or maybe using null data values doesn't work for r.contour?

Hmmm r.slope.aspect doesn't work ether, how am I going to create
a nice relive shaded map just from the DEM ? ;-/
>r.slope.aspect elevation=subset slope=slope
Floating point exception (core dumped)

	Bernhard
--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)