[GRASS5] Re: how to install grass5b on alphaServer

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 25 02:43:28 EDT 2000

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:06:09PM +0200, Andreas Lange wrote:

> The binary files (grass5.beta6/7_linuxbin.tar.gz) are platform and
> operating-system specific. The linux binary from the hannover server is
> for Linux on Intel x86 architecture only.

Just as a side note: I remember that Gnu/Linux/Alpha had a binary x86
emulator. So in theroy it might be possible to run the linux binary
somehow.

> I don't know if a alpha-linux
> binary will be released in the near future.

Unlikely.

> If you want to install
> grass5 now you must get the source file (grass5.0beta7.tar.gz), unpack
> it and compile it.

> You did'nt tell which operating system you run on the Compaq Alpha
> Server (Linux? Digital Unix, TrueUnix?).

The command
	uname -a
will tell him. :)

> You need a compiler (gcc/egcs)
> to build grass5 from the sources. I don't know if someone successfully
> compiled grass5 with the native compiler for TrueUnix etc.

The command
	cc -V
or
	cc -v
might tell him his compiler version.

I had some success in building grass5 on OSF1 (now called TrueUnix)
and the native compiler. In fact the native compiler is quite nice
and discovered some problems of the gcc centric development.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)