[GRASS5] mkfifo start for cygwin

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 21 17:02:57 EST 2000

John,

I do a search on the cygwin mailing list archive site from time to time
for fifo and mkfifo.  This is near the start of one email, from late
September, on the cygwin developers list which discusses mkfifo for
cygwin (the CV>  lines are ones that apparently were quoted from Corinna
Vinschen's previous email):

CV> Nothing specific. I was quite motivated to use NT named pipes
CV> when Chris demands that the solution should work on 9X.
CV> On the other hand I had enough to do so I only thought about
CV> the problem from time to time with different disadvantages in
CV> mind. As result, I delayed the decision...

It doesn't appear that Corinna got very far.

The rest of the email discusses a few alternatives, with no clear
approach being identified.  I could not find any follow-up to this
email.  It seems to me that this is not a high priority for the cygwin
team, so I agree that we should continue with our own solution.  If/when
the cygwin implementation includes fifo support, then we will have a
choice.  But until then we should get IPC working.

Unfortunately, I will be away for the rest of Dec., my laptop does not
have cygwin installed on it - and has no space available on the hard
drive.  I will be able to pick up again in January.

Bye for now,

Malcolm