[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1299] Re: Grass 5b10 make clean

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Dec 21 00:44:45 EST 2000

[Justin: I put this back on list to get others' feedback.]

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 03:00:39PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> I set the clean targets (except for savebinclean) to follow the GNU
> standard clean targets. See the Makefile for the link to the GNU web
> page I used as a reference. However, it is possible that I interpreted
> those targets incorrectly. Please let me know if you have another
> interpretation.

I finally was able to read the document referenced in the Makefile.in.
I read it to say "clean, distclean, etc." do *not* touch any installed
files.  It only seems to refer to files in the in the "current" build
directory.  The only place I see reference about removing installed
files is with the "uninstall" target (and then it needs a list to go
from).  I think we could easily have an uninstall target, since a
recursive delete of $(GISBASE), and the removal of $(PREFIX)/grass5 and
friends would be the only targets.  If there was a decent way to
generate a list of install files, using that would probably be
preferrable.

On the subject of the GRASS gmake system being a little non-conforming,
one thing I've wondered about is why wouldn't it be possible to rewrite
Gmakefiles slightly so they include an "install" target?  I haven't
really tried it, but I wonder if something like the following would
work.
OBJS = foo.o bar.o

LIBES = $(GISLIB)

PGM = foobar

$(PGM): $(LIBES) foobar.h
	$(CC) -o $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(OBJS) $(LIBES) $(MATHLIB) $(XDRLIB)

$(GISLIB): #

install: $(PGM)
	$(INSTALL) $(PGM) $(BIN_MAIN)/$(PGM)

I see a problem with the dependency check on $(GISLIB), but other than
that, am I missing something?  Is there a problem with the way the
next_head stuff works, or is it in gmake itself?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>