[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1299] Re: Grass 5b10 make clean

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Dec 21 03:51:08 EST 2000

Hi Eric

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> [Justin: I put this back on list to get others' feedback.]
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 03:00:39PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> > I set the clean targets (except for savebinclean) to follow the GNU
> > standard clean targets. See the Makefile for the link to the GNU web
> > page I used as a reference. However, it is possible that I
> > interpreted those targets incorrectly. Please let me know if you
> > have another interpretation.
>
> I finally was able to read the document referenced in the Makefile.in.
> I read it to say "clean, distclean, etc." do *not* touch any installed
> files.  It only seems to refer to files in the in the "current" build
> directory.  The only place I see reference about removing installed
> files is with the "uninstall" target (and then it needs a list to go
> from).  I think we could easily have an uninstall target, since a
> recursive delete of $(GISBASE), and the removal of $(PREFIX)/grass5
> and friends would be the only targets.  If there was a decent way to
> generate a list of install files, using that would probably be
> preferrable.

The problem is not that the clean directories touch the installed files.
The problem is that the installation directories and the build
directories are under the *same physical directory*. I am now in the
testing phase of the proposal I made earlier for a new Makefile that
will separate the build and installation directories. Now that the
directories are separate, the clean targets do not touch the
installation directory and there is an uninstall target to remove the
installation files. Hopefully I'll be able to check in the new system
tomorrow for people to test.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th