[GRASS5] [gordon.keith@marine.csiro.au: [GRASSLIST:1295] Grass 5b10make clean]

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Dec 19 04:33:46 EST 2000

Hi Eric

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> In case you all didn't see this....  Can I make the recommendation
> that we remove all of the "rm" statements from Makefile.in that work
> on the install directories?  If we want an uninstall routine, I think
> it needs a list of all the installed files (and where they were
> installed), so the process can be done safely.  "clean", "distclean"
> and "mostlyclean" should only affect the build directory.

I agree that the "clean" targets should not effect the installation
directories, but our problem is that the build directories and the
installation directories are currently the same by default.

However, I don't think removing the rm commands is the answer since that
would mean the user has to figure out what directories to delete on
their own if they do want to do an equivalent of a "make clean", which
is inconvenient and can also get them in trouble.

If you agree with the proposal I posted earlier than I should be able to
get a Makefile working in a few days that will separate the build and
installation directories. Then the clean targets will not touch the
installation directories, only a "make uninstall". What do you think?

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center