[GRASS5] LZW unhooked in libgis and libg3d now.

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Dec 17 11:41:55 EST 2000

Hi all,

Eric - many thanks for this issue!! Now we are close to have
GRASS totally free of (possible) copyright violations!

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 01:19:58PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> I made the small modifications to have the new G_zlib_* replacements for
> G_lzw_* be the default.  Also, added a message and instructions in the
> INSTALL file.  I'm sure we will see folks asking why GRASS can't read
> some raster files.  Probably we should have a notice on the websites
> about this change.
Yes, I should add an announcement. What about the r.lzw2flate tool?
I tried with success, maybe it should go for some time into the
GRASS code? Will it read LZW even if the GRASS is already compiled with
FLATE compression? In this case it would be nice to have an auto-detection
which automatically runs r.lzw2flate if an LZW compressed raster file
is found (would be most user convenient). I am sure there is no problem
to have LZW in this small module as the intention is to get rid of LZW.

I fear we'll get tons of emails of people having problems to migrate their
location to the new compression method if this isn't done by GRASS itself.

Regards

 Markus