[GRASS5] GRASS5 CVS on Red Hat 7.0

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Dec 15 21:23:40 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:56:52AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > One weird thing is that i have no static tcl/tk libraries around, only
> > some stub lib. So configure does not recognize, but nviz compiles and
> > works. Tcltkgrass too. See attached text.
> Currently configure searches for shared tcl/tk libraries only. Maybe
> Eric will add search for .a libs as well (as required on some machines).

Not exactly.  configure tries to compile a test program against the
library.  If it succeeds, then some things are "configured", if it fails
then some things aren't.  Whether both the static and shared libes are
present and whether the linker can resolve dependencies is
system/configuration dependent.  It's my understanding that, on Debian
at least, the static libraries are necessary for the linker to resolve
the dependencies because the shared libraries have been stripped.
However, it doesn't actually build the binaries static unless the
-static (or some such) flag is specified.  This of course varies by
system.  I suppose the static libraries aren't necessary if the shared
libraries aren't stripped.  Alternatively, if only the static library is
present, then the actual code will be included in any generated binary
(as with GRASS libes currently).  If "configure" fails on a library,
it's probably a result of a missing path, missing linker flag, or
because there's some variation in the library naming (like on CygWin
libtcl80.a -- no "." between "8" and "0").

> > The mesa setup worked without any manual installation/recompiling. There
> > is even a rpm for the SGI Widgets, that have been missing/not compiled
> > by default with mesa.
> >
> > But r3.showdspf does not work. It displays only some coloured stripes. I
> > have no time to investigate this, but it could be a problem that i have
> > installed Mesa, some IRIS GL compatibility lib, OpenMotif, LessTiff, the
> > SGI Widgets and some other OpenGL stuff, which could interfere.
> Currently I am working with 3D stuff. I'll try r3.showdspf again.
> For those being interested: A sample 3D dataset is available.
> See the sample data page for it.

Yes, you need the Mesa widgets with "Motif".  I haven't found the
version I have against "LessTif" to work very well.  Windows draw, and
all that, but none of the buttons do anything.  In general the g3d tools
have seen minimal development beyond their initial introduction to
GRASS.  At present, I don't find them very useful.  Hopefully more can
be done on this front during the 5.1 development cycle.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>