[GRASS5] Some Bugs

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Dec 14 21:55:45 EST 2000

Hi all.

Andreas Lange wrote:
> The general problem is, as Frank and Morten told, that ll, utm and
> "other projections" are handled different throughout the whole GRASS.
> Changing this would require a total library re-design.

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents here. Please note that I am not a GIS
person, so my point of view is as a software engineer.

I agree that it is important to point out the difficulties in making
such a change in the software, but we also need to encourage anyone
willing to tackle this change (even if they only offer to see how
feasible it is). Pointing out the difficulties is sometimes enough to
discourage people from looking further.

In this case, I feel we need more information before we can decide if
this change is feasible. A software engineering priciple is that
anything that simplifies the use of the software for users is
"generally" worth the effort needed to implement it providing it doesn't
substantially degrade performance. Also, this change has the potential
to simplify the code. Thus, there are two important reasons for
considering this change.

I guess I just don't want to see this idea die simply because it
involves a major change to the source code. The advantages from a
software engineering point of view justify IMHO a more detailed
investigation into the feasibility of making this change.

But of course, this idea is moot if we don't have any volunteers to
perform this investigation. :-)

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th