[GRASS5] Mac OS X beta 10

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Thu Dec 14 18:24:35 EST 2000

Hi Jeshua,

Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have not heard any advice or suggestions regarding the Tcl/Tk GUI
> bugs that I am experiencing, and I am at lost if I should post the
> binaries in their state or if I should wait until the GUI is usable.

I read your posting on the errors. There are some misconceptions about
the working in it.
First: tcltkgrass does not depend on any compiled binary except of the
wish shell from tcl/tk. So recompiling GRASS will not help.
Second: tcltkgrass works with tcl/tk 8.0, 8.2 and 8.3 on Linux and on
IRIX. I tested myself and found not problems.

Mixing tcltkgrass and commandline to start/stop monitors is no good
idea, as tcltkgrass makes the assumption that e.g. a monitor started
with tcltkgrass is still running. It may hang if you stop the monitor by
hand and try to stop it with tcltkgrass menue then.

The message you recieve if you kill the monitor with the window manager
[x] button or kill option i experience on Linux too. We are working on
this, but this requires a lot of knowlegde on system programming and the
internals of Unix. And Unix=Unix is never true. Mac OS X may behave
differently that Linux.

Could you test the following with a standard installation on Mac OS X:
remove both .grassrc5 and .tcltkgrass (or rename both files) on the
account of an ordinary user (not root) and start a grass session and
open a monitor, quit tcltkgrass and restart it. Then try to draw
something on the monitor e. g. with d.rast or d.vect. Report the errors.

> I know everyone is busy, but I have devoted a major percentage of my
> time for the Mac/GRASS community and I feel ignored at this time.

Please notice that most of us work part time or spare time on grass, so
we can not fix anything in the speed some commercial services can offer.
But you will get a feedback, which is different from my personal
expirience with some commercial support services...

> So the options are basically: post the build in it's current state,
> fix and then post the build, or don't post the build at.  What should
> I do?

I think that tcltkgrass is so important that you should not post the
binaries unless it is working.

Please note too that tcl/tk is nowadays some sort of moving target, with
several different versions in broad use.

cu,

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net