[GRASS5] compiling beta10 on IRIX and CYGWIN/WIN32

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sun Dec 10 12:08:26 EST 2000

Hi Markus,

generally all modules/libraries using the external data representation
need the xdrlib. But that should be all modules that link with the gis,
raster and vector library (pretty most of the grass modules!). But as we
found out lateley on Linux and IRIX (and possibly other systems too),
the functions are included in the standard c library. So on most systems
(except Win/Cygwin) there is no need. But the inclusion of $(XDRLIB)
does not hurt in any case.

On IRIX all modules linking with the gis lib and referencing some
function from there that needs a math function (e. g. floor, ceil, sin,
cos etc.) need $(MATHLIB). So too, it will only generate a linker
warning "-lm not used to resolve any function ...".

And the IRIX linker is somewhat confusing as the order is important:
e. g. $(MATHLIB) $(GISLIB) will not work to resolve floor from a
function in the gis lib. $(GISLIB) $(MATHLIB) will work fine. This is a
problem of the IRIX linker used with gcc, so it does not happen on
Linux. Using the MIPS PRO compiler may not have such problem.

I would propose to add $(XDRLIB) $(MATHLIB) always, at least for new
modules.

cu,

Andreas

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 06:30:46AM -0700, John Huddleston wrote:
> > No Markus,  you do not have to change 60% of the Gmakefiles.
> > if beta10 comes from the cvs.
> >
> > I modified all the files to be $(LIBS) $(XDRLIB) $(MATHLIB)
> > when I first started.   It is usually new files that potentially may
> > have incorrect order.  The rules depends on which LIBS are
> > included.  Some require XDRLIB and some don't.
> O.k.... Do you have any hints *when* XDRLIB is required? How
> to find out (another way as bothering Andreas or you :-)
> when to added this to CC line? I'll put a note into SUBMITTING
> then (we already have a nice Gmakefile section there!).
>
> Markus
>

> > John Huddleston

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net