[GRASS5] Setting a removal date for LZW

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Dec 6 21:35:21 EST 2000

I'd like to set a date in the next week or two where we make the switch
from using LZW to DEFLATE in reading/writing FP rasters and G3D files.

I've been using a version of libgis compiled with the new libz wrapper
functions for the last couple weeks and have not had any problem with
floating point rasters.  I have not yet tested it with G3D, though I
don't expect any real problems since the new functions should be drop in
replacements for the old and only need to know where to start
reading/writing and how many bytes.  I will try to start testing G3D
stuff in the next week, but I have very little experience using these
files and associated programs.  One or two of the r3 modules will
have to be changed with regards to renaming the option to use LZW to
DEFLATE.

While I've had no problems, the only way to really know these functions
are working correctly is to try them out under various operating
conditions by a wider number of users (than 1).  I don't forsee any
problems provide zlib is present, since these functions hardly do
anything too tricky (the library takes care of the hard part).

Ciao,
--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>