[GRASS5] _gtty & _stty errors

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Dec 6 21:10:00 EST 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:31:57PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> > > Report the same error:
> > >    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> > >    _gtty
> > >    _stty
> >
> > Those should be defined in libncurses, I think.  Do you have the
> > ncurses5 library installed?  It may be the linker is not finding the
> > libraries correctly (maybe use the --with-libs=/path/to/libdir).  The
> > linker is often very limited in where it will look for thing by default,
> > hence all the -L/usr/X11R6/lib and similar flags.  See other post as
> > well.
>
> Hi gang,
>
> Ok, I installed the libncurses 5.2 and it appears that they were already installed because modules that compiled before gave a error stating that "/usr/lib/libncurses.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1)".  After updating with ranlib the modules that worked before now work, however, I still get the errors with the above modules:
>
>    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>    _gtty
>    _stty
>
> Which leads me to believe that they must be defined somewhere else.... Where??
>
> I would really like to figure this one out as it will fix 6 modules....

Well, not sure where those get defined, but I find "gtty" and "stty" in
libc.a.  I couldn't find those symbols in libncurses.a, libcurses.a, or
libtermcap.a -- sorry for the red herring.  You can use "nm
/path/to/staticlib.a | grep '<symbol>'" to hunt for where symbols are
defined.  See if libc.a has 'stty' (it probably does).  Are you using
the --with-USE_TERMIO directive?  If not, maybe it's worth a try.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>