[GRASS5] New initialization

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Dec 6 06:51:03 EST 2000

Hello all

The files src/general/init/grass.src and src/general/init/init.sh have
been changed to include 2 checks concerning a GUI. The first check is
for a default interface mode for GRASS_GUI. This checks the command line
first, then for the external variable GRASS_GUI, then it checks the
.grassrc5 file, and then if all else fails, defaults to tcltk. Finally
it saves the GRASS_GUI setting in the grassrc file, but not for first
time users - they start in text mode so we don't want to save that
anyway. There are two assumptions made with this code, one is the
existance of awk and the other is the existance of /tmp. I think these
are safe assumptions. Let me know if they are not.

The second check is for a valid wish. Note that the scripts use Huidae's
addition of the GRASS_WISH variable. First it checks for a DISPLAY
variable. Then for the command in GRASS_WISH (default is wish) in the
user's path. Then when gis_set.tcl is called, it checks for a version >=
8.0. If any of these checks fail, the interface mode switches to text
mode.

I also made some changes to src/tcltkgrass/main/gis_set.tcl.

Please let me know if there are any problems or comments.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center