[GRASS5] init.sh.new

GRASS grass at geni.knu.ac.kr
Wed Dec 6 00:53:34 EST 2000

From: Justin Hickey <jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th>
> GRASS wrote:
> > May I ask you to test src/general/init/init.sh.new?
> > This is another src/general/init/init.sh to search the latest version
> > of tclsh and wish, wish8.x as well as wish.
>
> I disagree that we should be searching for the latest version based on
> version numbers. It is difficult to come up with a script that will work
> in all cases. We saw this with Markus's script and it appears that your
> new script currently would not work if someone just installed Tcl/Tk
> 8.3.2 or Tcl/Tk 8.4a2 (both currently available from

I don't know why you pointed 8.3.2 or 8.4a2. Does init.sh.new work with
another version?

> http://dev.scriptics.com/). And if the developers of Tcl/Tk decide to
> change their version system (they have changed it in the past - they
> used to use a p to indicate patch level and the versions of Tcl and Tk
> didn't match), we'll have to change our script again. In the end our

Yes, I agree that the versions of Tcl and Tk can not match. In this case,
init.sh.new is useless :-(

> script becomes very complex just to find a version of Tcl/Tk. I'm sorry
> but I see this as causing more problems than necessary.
>
> I prefer simple solutions and your GRASS_TCLSH and GRASS_WISH
> environment variables seem to me to be reasonable solutions. I plan to
> print error messages if wish is not found that indicate that the user
> should have the sysadmin create a link to the appropriate wish command
> (this is the suggested method in the Tcl/Tk install instructions), or
> alternatively use the environment variables you added.
>
> > "wish" does not work at least on FreeBSD. And i've seen issues about
> > this.
>
> This seems strange. What is the reason why they do not create the link
> to wish? How do their users deal with scripts they download that refer
> to wish? Do they have to edit the scripts to get them to run? If this is
> the case, then it seems very user-unfriendly to me. Strange.
>
> > Using GRASS_TCLSH and GRASS_WISH, maybe this is solution for
> > many tclsh and wish scripts.
>
> Yes, as I said above, this is more reasonable to me.

OK, we should change tcl/tk scripts to use GRASS_TCLSH and GRASS_WISH env
vars and add comments to SUBMITTING about this.

	exec tclsh "$0" "$@"	=>	exec $GRASS_TCLSH "$0" "$@"
	exec wish "$0" "$@"	=>	exec $GRASS_WISH "$0" "$@"

Do you agree with this?

Regards,