[GRASS5] init.sh.new

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Dec 5 23:11:39 EST 2000

Hi Huidae

GRASS wrote:
> May I ask you to test src/general/init/init.sh.new?
> This is another src/general/init/init.sh to search the latest version
> of tclsh and wish, wish8.x as well as wish.

I disagree that we should be searching for the latest version based on
version numbers. It is difficult to come up with a script that will work
in all cases. We saw this with Markus's script and it appears that your
new script currently would not work if someone just installed Tcl/Tk
8.3.2 or Tcl/Tk 8.4a2 (both currently available from
http://dev.scriptics.com/). And if the developers of Tcl/Tk decide to
change their version system (they have changed it in the past - they
used to use a p to indicate patch level and the versions of Tcl and Tk
didn't match), we'll have to change our script again. In the end our
script becomes very complex just to find a version of Tcl/Tk. I'm sorry
but I see this as causing more problems than necessary.

I prefer simple solutions and your GRASS_TCLSH and GRASS_WISH
environment variables seem to me to be reasonable solutions. I plan to
print error messages if wish is not found that indicate that the user
should have the sysadmin create a link to the appropriate wish command
(this is the suggested method in the Tcl/Tk install instructions), or
alternatively use the environment variables you added.

> "wish" does not work at least on FreeBSD. And i've seen issues about
> this.

This seems strange. What is the reason why they do not create the link
to wish? How do their users deal with scripts they download that refer
to wish? Do they have to edit the scripts to get them to run? If this is
the case, then it seems very user-unfriendly to me. Strange.

> Using GRASS_TCLSH and GRASS_WISH, maybe this is solution for
> many tclsh and wish scripts.

Yes, as I said above, this is more reasonable to me.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents worth.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th