[GRASS5] cygwin/windows port

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Dec 5 00:55:02 EST 2000

Hi Mike,

Mike Thomas wrote:

> Hi Andreas.
>
> > without any problems.
>
> There are still autoconfig problems
>
> - Needs to choose "bison -y" instead of "yacc".

Yes, i missed that because i have a softlink from bison to yacc.

> - Doesn't find openGL libraries.

This is true too, but the openGL libraries are needed only for the 3d
raster modules and NVIZ 2.2. Both will not compile out of the box on
windows, because togl and other parts need to be ported to windows and
the openGL libraries on Windows are IMHO DLLs from MS, that must be
linked dynamically. I am not sure which library/code parts are X11
specific in both 3d and NVIZ.

> >Thanks to John Huddleston for his great work.
>
> Yes!
>
> > - compile the source as it is under cygwin, including the XDRIVER for
> > graphics and install the Cygwin port of X11R6.4. This has the problem
> > that you use grass from an X Window server on Windows, which is
> > unfamiliar to windows users. And the X11R6.4 port is beta only,
> > complicated to install and crashes sometimes. And i haven't seen a
> > tcl/tk port for X Window under Windows yet. So tcltkgrass does not work
> > right now. Only commandline/XDRIVER.
>
> Is there a fifo implementation yet?  My understanding is that none of this
> will work without it.

See my other mail.

> > - compile under cygwin, create a new windows graphics DRIVER, use
> > tcltkgrass with the Windows-wish (cygwish).
> > I can start tcltkgrass with the cygwish with some modifications. This
> > would not require to install the X11 system and would run in the windows
> > graphics, which is a big advantage (familiar usage).
> > Writing a graphics driver for windows should not be too complicated for
> > a windows programmer (i can assist as i already wrote a new driver for
> > GRASS). But i don't know if it is possible to compile this driver
> > without MS Visual C++. The headers and API is there, e. g. the cygwish
> > port uses this setup.
>
> As you say, Cygwin has Windows API headers.  I'm not sure what the driver
> would need that you would need MSVC++ for.  There is also the mingw compiler
> (gcc without Cygwin).
>
> If the fifo problem is not an issue, please tell me what to do to make a
> driver, and I will think about building one.  I am unsure of how much time I
> will have over the next two months, but I can at least work out what is
> required.

see other mail too.

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net