Fwd: Re: [GRASS5] New MacOS X compilation errors

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Mon Dec 4 16:06:38 EST 2000

>Hi Jeshua,
>
>there are still some odd things with the header. If this header was
>generated with the latest configure, Eric should have a look at it for
>what i marked.

Thanks Andreas!  Yes it was configured with the latest configure.

>If you need a quick fix, please try to edit the file manually.

  I will poke around the file and see if I can't figure something out.
The thing I do not understand is when to use the switches like -l or
-L as in =  "-L/usr/X11R6/lib".  In other words If I try adding a
path, I do not know if I need to add some switch in front of it.

>I would recommend to do a "make distclean" (this will remove the
>complete Installation and the object and library files) and to re-run
>./configure. If the header file does not change, please mail again.

Well I would, but I just did that.  Note that the entire tree was
updated prior to cleaning and configuration.

>Jeshua Lacock wrote:
>>  Thanks Andreas and Eric!
>>
>>  After deleting and updating connect.c, it compiles just fine. I
>>still get the error:
>>
>>  __XErrorFunction
>>  __XIOErrorFunction
>>  __Xdebug
>>
>>  Here's by header file:
>>
>>  CC                  = cc
>why not gcc? Which compiler do you have installed? Is there a Mac OS X
>specific compiler installed?
>
>>  FC                  =
>no Fortran compiler, some modules will not compile.
>If you have installed gcc, you should add g77 here.

I cannot get gcc/g77/f77 installed.  The Apple Developers Kit comes
with cc only.  I have heard a rumor that I should try the gcc CVS
snapshot.  I think I will.

>  > LEX                 = flex
>>  YACC                = yacc
>>  ARCH                = powerpc-apple-darwin1.2
>>  MAKE                = make
>>  prefix              = /usr/local/grass5
>>  exec_prefix         = /usr/local
>>
>>  GISBASE             = /usr/local/grass5
>>  UNIX_BIN            = ${exec_prefix}/bin
>>
>>  DEFAULT_DATABASE    =
>>  DEFAULT_LOCATION    =
>>
>>  COMPILE_FLAGS       = -g -O2
>>  LDFLAGS             =
>
>No stripping. This is the reason your binary distr. so much bigger than
>on e. g. Linux.
>Try putting "-s" here and check if it compiles. Your bindist will shrink
>to about 40 MB with this.

I will try with the next dist.

>  >
>>  DLLIB               =
>>  XCFLAGS             =  -I/usr/X11R6/include
>
>Try -I/usr/X11/include here if you have this directory. This could be
>the reason for the above cited error.
>Just a wild guess.

No such directory as /usr/X11 for me, it is in fact located at /usr/X11R6.

>  > # XXX - replace SYSV in code with configure results in config.h
>>  # XXX - need SYSV defined for hpux10
>>  XLDFLAGS            =
>>  XINCPATH            =
>>  XMINCPATH           =
>  > XLIBPATH            =  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
>>  XTLIBPATH           =
>>  XMLIBPATH           =
>>  XLIB                =  -lSM -lICE -lX11
>>  XTLIB               = -lXt
>>  XMLIB               = -lXm
>>  XEXTRALIBS          =
>>
>>  COMPATLIB           =
>>  TERMLIB             =
>>  CURSES              =  $(TERMLIB) $(COMPATLIB)
>>  MATHLIB             =
>>  XDRLIB              =
>>  ZLIB                = -lz
>>
>>  #PostgreSQL:
>>  PQINCPATH           =
>>  PQLIBPATH           =  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib
>>  PQLIB               =
>>
>>  #ODBC:
>>  ODBCINC             =
>>
>>  #Image formats:
>>  PNGINC              = -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/include/gr
>>-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include
>>  PNGLIB              = -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib
>>
>>  #JPEGINCPATH         = -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/include/gr
>>-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include
>>  #JPEGLIBPATH         = -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib
>>  JPEGINCPATH         =
>>  JPEGLIBPATH         =
>>  JPEGLIB             =
>>
>>  TIFFINCPATH         = -I/usr/local/include
>>  TIFFLIBPATH         = -L/usr/local/lib
>>
>>  #openGL files for NVIZ/r3.showdspf
>>  OPENGLINC           =  -I/usr/local/include/GL -I/usr/X11R6/include/GL
>>  OPENGLwINC          =
>>  OPENGLLIB           =  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/X11
>>-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL
>>  OPENGLULIB          =
>>  LGLWM               =
>
>Don't think that NVIZ compiles with this settings. OPENGLULIB is -lGLU
>and LGLWM -lGlw on my linux machine.
>Is there an OpenGL port for Mac OS X? Did you install Mesa?

Is Mesa not an OpenGL port?  Yes, I have installed Mesa.  Should I
reinstall it?

>  > #tcl/tk stuff
>>  TCLINCDIR           = -I/usr/local/include
>>  TKINCDIR            = -I/usr/local/include
>>  TCLTKLIBPATH        = -L/usr/local/lib
>>  TCLTKLIBS           =
>
>Hmm. TCLTKLIBS is -ltk8.3 -ltcl8.3 on Linux. Did you update the CVS
>tree?

Affirmative. I am using tcl/tk 8.0.4 because that is what is linked
to the GRASS 5 site.  Should I install tcl/tk 8.3 or the latest
available release?

Thanks,
--
Jeshua Lacock