[GRASS5] r.to.pg: awk question

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 25 08:46:36 EDT 2000

Hi again,

just now I submitted a script
r.to.pg
into CVS:
src/scripts/contrib/r.to.pg

It allows to write a GRASS raster map into a
one-column table into PostgreSQL. I use it to
analyse large datasets in "R" using the RPgSQL
library (R data proxy).

Following problem I have: Currently the table name
is static: "celltable". I would prefer the map's
name instead. But: As I use awk to generate the
INSERT statements, I have to get the table name
variable into awk. How to do this?

$1: GRASS raster map name

[...]

TABLENAME="somestring"
#get the raster values and write out SQL:
r.stats -1 nv='-9999' in=$1 | awk 'BEGIN{}
  NR == 1{}
         {printf "INSERT INTO %s VALUES ( %.5f);\n", $TABLENAME, $1  >> "/tmp/pgimport.sql"}
END{}'

[...]

Above printf line is not working, I can just use a hard-coded
"tablename" instead of $TABLENAME. Means: How to use environmental
variables in awk?

Thanks for any advice!

 Markus

PS: The cat text is not yet supported, but would be a good idea.