[GRASS5] d.dm

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Jul 19 12:14:16 EDT 2000

Hi Radim

On Jul 17,  9:37am, Radim Blazek wrote:
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] d.dm
> > thank you very much for the display manager.
> > I like the concept and think that it could be expanded to a fully
> > functional "Map Manager" in GRASS.
> >
> > I had some time ago the idea of a similar program, but no time to spent
> > on it. My idea was slightly different, i think one should use a
> > tree-like widget to display the items to display in one window (with the
> > Set as the root, no need to display more than one set at a time). The
> > window on the right could contain an entry widget with all the options
> > for the currently selected display item,
>
> I will think about tree+entry (d.dm window displays also something
> like legend (color(s), icon,..) and so tree should contain these items.
> Changing color would require 3 clicks instead of 2)

If you are interested in creating a tree widget, then you should look into the
$GISBASE/bwidget Tcl/Tk library. It includes functions to create a tree widget
and may be useful to you. I haven't used the tree widget myself, but I am using
other bwidget features for the Tcl/Tk version of v.digit, as well as the new
initialization routines. There are README files in the bwidget directory that
inform you how to use bwidget with GRASS as well as how to run the demo scripts
and find the html man pages.

I'm sorry I did not have time to try your code, and this suggestion could be
totally off-base. I just thought this may be useful to you.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center