[GRASS5] Re: Cygwin B20?

John Huddleston jhuddles at rocky.itc.nrcs.usda.gov
Wed Jul 19 09:08:18 EDT 2000

Forgive my late reply, I have been on vacation and just
returned.  Old is not bad.   New is not necessarily good.

The B20.1 version first released in November 1998 is
a very stable port of Cygwin for windows.  This includes
the X11 libraries (which I use on two other projects)
Most Unix applications will compile OOTB with this
system.   The first two Grass5 builds were compiled with
B20.1.  The last three were compiled with Cygwin 1.1.1
The documentation is out of date ( sorry Markus! )

I have discovered that when combining Fortran, C, and
C++ together, that B20.1 works well with Windows 98
however; you must upgrade to Cygwin 1.x if using
Windows NT or 2000.   That is a must.

The cygwin 1.1.1 is bleeding edge software and
frequent upgrades are required.  I keep on top of
this as time permits.   The xfree software purportedly
works but I have not been able to accomplish it.
The B20.1 X11 software will not work with the
Cygwin 1.x system.   The XGrass was removed from
Grass5 so this requirement is not necessary; thus the
reason I moved to cygwin 1.1.1.

John Huddleston, P.E.
USDA Computer Engineer