[GRASS5] d.dm

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Mon Jul 17 03:37:15 EDT 2000

Thank you for comments.

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi Radim,
>
> thank you very much for the display manager.
> I like the concept and think that it could be expanded to a fully
> functional "Map Manager" in GRASS.
>
> I had some time ago the idea of a similar program, but no time to spent
> on it. My idea was slightly different, i think one should use a
> tree-like widget to display the items to display in one window (with the
> Set as the root, no need to display more than one set at a time). The
> window on the right could contain an entry widget with all the options
> for the currently selected display item,

I will think about tree+entry (d.dm window displays also something
like legend (color(s), icon,..) and so tree should contain these items.
Changing color would require 3 clicks instead of 2)

> one could develop a sort of
> meta-description of the options (like the module files for tcltkgrass)
> to generate this screen with the entry widgets.

I decided not to use meta-description because only few types of maps
exist (raster,area,line,site,dbsite,label) but with very different entries.
(I want add for example option for vector categories: all,
category, postgres, dbmi  and change entry fields dynamicaly according to
selected type)

>And the CELL driver
> could be added so that it is possible to create a map on the xdriver and
> write it later to a CELL file.

Yes I'll add CELL driver. I want also add Plot (ps.map).

> Some general hints on programming with tcl/tk:
> tcl/tk has no elaborate data types and (until 8.1) no namespaces, so
> that one should waste some time on variable names and composite
> variables. It saves much typing if you use only one associative array
> for global state variables, e. g. $init(option). I must admit that i am
> not very familiar with tcl/tk until now and still learn myself.
>
> I am not shure if it is wise to check in the tcl/tk-script file with
> executable permissions and only copy it over to the script dir with
> Gmakefile commands. If you check in the script in the script directory
> (src/script/contrib) the file will be copied over to the correct
> directory and permissions will be set automatically. Or you could look
> into the Gmakefile for the scripts directories and adapt the system used
> there.

Yes I'll add chmod to Gmakefile

>On recompiling beta8 yesterday d.dm was not automatically
> created, the script was available after i manually executed gmake5 in
> the directory.

d.dm is not in list yet, I'll add soon.

Radim