[GRASS5] datum support in GRASS

Michel Wurtz - ENGEES/CEREG mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Jul 17 04:26:25 EDT 2000

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Andreas Lange wrote:
>
> > Could please tell me someone if there are GRASS applications that use
> > resolutions with sub-meter or meter range and interface with programs that
> > use datum shifting?
>
> Andreas,
>
>   In my areas of expertise (ecology, biology, hydrology) there is almost
> never a need for accuracies greater than ~5 meters. Then, there are the
> accuracies of source data to be considered. For example, here in the US,

Hmmm... I'm working with agriculture involved people, and for
precision farming : they want a precision up to 10 cm or less.

They don't use yet Grass, but some (expensive) commercial GIS.
On the other hand, the only transformation needed is for converting
precision GPS coordinates into our (wonderfull) lambert conical
(and very specific : the formulas are not implemented in proj.4)
projection on our (french modified and also wonderfull :-) Clarke
1880 ellispoid.

For all other application, I agree with Rich...

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - CEREG
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex