[GRASS5] Questions regarding GIS.sh

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Jul 5 12:20:33 EDT 2000

Hello Michel

On Jul 3,  5:20pm, Michel Wurtz - ENGEES/CEREG wrote:
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] Questions regarding GIS.sh
>
> > 1. In gis.head the user's home directory is determined by
> >         home=`cd;pwd`
> >    Is it safe to assume that this information can be obtained from the
$HOME
> >    environment variable? It seems to me that the $HOME variable is
> >    guaranteed to exist on all platforms. Is there any reason not to use it?
>
> Your idea for a tcl/tk startup routine is very good, but
> don't forget that this interface may be also used
> with Windows, once the port of monitor will be completed.  So
> you should look at Unix and Windows when programming your tcl/tk
> interface.

I agree that considering porting issues for Windows is important.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to port Unix specific shell scripts (like
GIS.sh) to Windows. Also, Markus has asked me to finish this interface soon,
therefore, I do not have time to learn how to port shell scripts to Windows. I
would greatly appreciate it if you could provide any assistance with the
porting issues for Windows.

Thank you for your comments.

--
Sincerely,