[GRASS5] Prototype Oracle 8 tools

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Tue Jun 13 16:07:39 EDT 2000

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I checked in two prototype Oracle 8.x modules from
[...]
> > Beside that a new ODBC driver is there (db.* modules), I connected to
> > PostgreSQL as well (should work with Oracle, too). It is using
> > unixODBC.
>
> universal, reliable, portable, but not so fast as a custom solution...I really
> don't know what's the best way.
> (As you can understand i'm a performance maniac!)

Note about DBMI (db.* modules):  DBMI != ODBC

DBMI is GRASS library for writing RDBMS modules and drivers.
You can write your own driver for Oracle or Postgres
but share all db.*  modules with users of other RDBMS.
(I know it is also bit slower) . I started to work on dbmi because I think
it is better solution than:
d.rast.pg  d.what.r.pg  g.column.pg  g.table.pg   v.in.arc.pg
d.site.pg  d.what.s.pg  g.select.pg  pg.in.dbf    v.in.shape.pg
d.vect.pg  d.what.v.pg  g.stats.pg  v.reclass.pg
d.rast.inf  d.what.r.inf  g.column.inf  g.table.inf    r.rescale.inf
d.site.inf  d.what.s.inf  g.select.inf  v.reclass.inf
d.vect.inf  d.what.v.inf  g.stats.inf   r.reclass.inf
d.vect.ora    d.what.v.ora  g.stats.ora    r.rescale.ora
d.rast.ora  d.what.r.ora  g.column.ora  g.table.ora    v.reclass.ora
d.site.ora  d.what.s.ora  g.select.ora  r.reclass.ora
and so on for each RDBMS.

But it's only my opinion.

Radim