[GRASS5] Prototype Oracle 8 tools

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 13 16:23:27 EDT 2000

Hi all,

today I checked in two prototype Oracle 8.x modules from
Christian Saldarini <cristian at torno.como.polimi.it>:

src.garden/grass.oracle2/
  d.ora.rast
  d.ora.sites

Markus

Here Christian's original mail:
-----------------------------------
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:33:48 +0200
From: Christian Saldarini <cristian at torno.como.polimi.it>
To: Markus Neteler <neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de>
Subject: Re: oracle-grass interface

Markus Neteler wrote:

> To be shure: Did you upgrade the existing version in src.garden
> or develop from scratch? Perhaps it makes sense to remove the current
> old version from GRASS 5 and replace by yours. Maybe other programmers
> can assist you.

Well I made it from ground zero, to take advantage of new geometrical
functions of Oracle's Spatial Cartridge;the problem is that it was just a
sample code to test oracle's performances, so it's not so complicated.
In my opinion it could be useful to show others how to merge oracle and grass
libraries (how to write oracle's malkefiles and call basic oracle's
function);in this case i have to add explanations in almost every line of
code.
The next thing to say is that preparing oracle tables with user data and
creating all indexes is not so easy. Not every kind of users can afford this
system both for economical and technical needings.

> Did you try the PostgreSQL interface included in GRASS 5? Perhaps
> yours and this from Alex Shevlakov can be merged to become a powerful
> interface.

That's a good idea: the A.S. interface does other things (like
reclassification), so with a few work togheter we can merge our commands whit
his ones, without redundancy.

> Beside that a new ODBC driver is there (db.* modules), I connected to
> PostgreSQL as well (should work with Oracle, too). It is using
> unixODBC.

universal, reliable, portable, but not so fast as a custom solution...I really
don't know what's the best way.
(As you can understand i'm a performance maniac!)

[...]
Bye
Christian Saldarini
cristian at torno.como.polimi.it