[GRASS5] OOP and 3rd party libs

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 10:02:37 EDT 2000

Hi Bernhard

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > 1. Most large scale projects in the number-crunching zone,
> > > whether they are free software, open source, public domain,
> > > or whatever, incorporate some form of the BLAS/LAPACK libraries
> > > for efficient linear algebra computations. Am I right in thinking
> > > GRASS does not have this? Its presence would take a lot of
> > > the burden away from developing separate routines in each module
> > > and allow developers to concentrate on GIS specific code.
> >
> > There is some code named "eigen_tools" (G_tqli, G_tred2), but i do not
> > know anything about it. If there is need for such a library, no
> > objections.
>

> > > 2. As an extension to the above there is the whole question of
> > > linking to Fortran code.
>
> I do not see advantages in using Fortran code.
> And I am not aware of functionality that would exclusivly available
> with fortran code.

True, but what I really meant was that we might have advanced, difficult
to recreate and maintain code, that just happens to be available and
maintained in fortran, such as the matrix and vector handling routines
that come with BLAS and LAPACK and their extensions. But - I have just
found that much of this is also available in C.

> If we need mathematical functions, may http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gsl/
> GSL -- The GNU Scientific Library is an option.

I have just looked at the most recent release of this, and it
certainly now has much advanced functionality. For example, native
C implementations of BLAS - ie not just a wrapper or f2c translation.

Best wishes

David