[GRASS5] GRASS branching

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon May 29 09:22:34 EDT 2000

Hi all,

concerning GRASS branches I would like to

 - keep the main tree as experimental (HEAD = default trunk as now,
   all modules have "exp" tag currently)
 - create stable branch from this tree by branch tagging

Advantage:
 - no changes for the developers as the tags keep unchanged
 - easier to maintain: if module is stable, "stable tag" will
   be applied, else no changes (if unstable)

Results:
 - trunk keeps as it is (no changes fro you)
 - stable version can be checked out by tag specification

Disadvantage:
 - might be unusual to have main trunk as experimental and
   stable as branch ? (I don't know)

Questions:
 - If applying a branch "stable" tag, does such a tagged module
   disappear from the main (experimental) trunk?

You comments are welcome.

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 01:54:20PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 04:01:13PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 May 2000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > The only problem is the
> > > src/CMD/lists/GRASS which is parsed for compilation. Either
> > > we have to hold two lists (stable/unstable) or the compile
> > > mechanism needs to be modified to
> > >
> > >  1. ignore non-existing modules (as they might not have been checked
> > >     out if the stable version was acquired)
> > >  2. ignore compile errors and proceed, maybe collecting the
> > >     names of uncompiled modules in a log file.
> > >
> > > Especially 2. would be of general interest, I think.
> > > If 1. is there, we could modularize the GRASS in a first approach
> > > into smaller, topic-oriented packages.
> > >
> > > In fact the best solution would be that the compile script collects
> > > the *existing modules* first, then we would get rid of the
> > > src/CMD/lists/GRASS.
> >
> > I am not confident in shell programming, but I can easily write a perl
> > script that can detrmine all exisiting modules if there is a way to
> > determine if a directory is a module.
>
> If perl is not a prerequisitive for building GRASS now, we should not
> introduce it.
> 	Bernhard
I agree. Keep the number of prerequisitives as low as possible.

Best wishes

 Markus Neteler