[GRASS5] Re: Windows grass binaries / GRASS branching

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Mon May 29 05:01:13 EDT 2000

Hello Markus
On Fri, 26 May 2000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> The only problem is the
> src/CMD/lists/GRASS which is parsed for compilation. Either
> we have to hold two lists (stable/unstable) or the compile
> mechanism needs to be modified to
>
>  1. ignore non-existing modules (as they might not have been checked
>     out if the stable version was acquired)
>  2. ignore compile errors and proceed, maybe collecting the
>     names of uncompiled modules in a log file.
>
> Especially 2. would be of general interest, I think.
> If 1. is there, we could modularize the GRASS in a first approach
> into smaller, topic-oriented packages.
>
> In fact the best solution would be that the compile script collects
> the *existing modules* first, then we would get rid of the
> src/CMD/lists/GRASS.

I am not confident in shell programming, but I can easily write a perl
script that can detrmine all exisiting modules if there is a way to
determine if a directory is a module. Maybe the existance of an empty file
called "moduleDir" or something. I don't know if this will be useful or
not but I will volunteer to do it if someone can help with the
specifications for integrating this into the pre-install scripts

Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center
Bangkok, Thailand