[GRASS5] Digitizer drivers in v.digit

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri May 12 10:00:48 EDT 2000

Hello Markus and others

On May 11,  3:51pm, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Notice for all:
>  Several files not used in v.digit are in v.digit/unused/ now.
>  The file bin_digit.c is renamed to main.c, the Gmakefile changed
>  for this. So the file structure should be (rather) clean now.

OK, I see these changes now. I had to use the cvs update -d command to get the
"unused" directory, just to let you know.

On May 11,  7:04pm, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > To phrase it in the other direction:
> > 	Do not start anything major unless you have Markus permission
> > 	to work on that part of the tree.
> Mhh, I suggest: Don't *commit* until the team allows. Of course
> you are free to work where/what you want. It should be too
> centralized, but under control. Confusions like my v.digit
> problem should be avoided and will be avoided by communication.
> Small updates should be generally o.k. if not platform
> dependent. Otherwise we loose time.

I agree that we should have the team check changes before they are committed.
This implies three things:

1. There is definitely reason to have at least two source tress, one for
"committed" code (stable tree) and one for submitting changes to be evaluated.

2. Someone or some small team must dedicate themselves to evaluating submitted
changes. Otherwise, changes may never be applied to the stable tree.

3. We need a policy for evaluation as well as using CVS in general - standard
arguments to use for the different operations (update, commit, etc) that work
for the GRASS project and its developers - when should we create tags, naming
format for tags, who commits to the stable tree and when, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm new to CVS so I can't make too many suggestions, but I think
we need to address these 3 items and come to some kind of consensus soon.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th