[GRASS5] Splitting GRASS 5 into stable and unstable

John Huddleston jhudd at itc.nrcs.usda.gov
Wed May 10 08:30:55 EDT 2000

To Grass developers list,

I have used CVS from 1991 to present.  I oversaw the work of
25 different project teams, about 65 feds and 125 contractors
for USDA NRCS as a configuration manager.  I also have
built CVS for ARS and recently worked with them to configure
their CVS as well as use the jCVS and WinCVS clients.  I
have given CVS training in the last two years to three different
groups.

Doing branches is necessary when there are code changes that
break the system.   Making fixes or patches to the HEAD of
a CVS repository do not usually require a branch.  Communication
such as the recent CVS announcement by Bernhard is one
of the key elements of using CVS together.   So, the question
to ask is what breaks the system?

Any code that changes a function name, function variables,
number of function variables, adds new external variables,
and like scenarios is cause for making a branch.  New code
that uses the older code does not require a new branch.
Further, branching can be done by any individual but merging
is done by the group.  Announcing before-hand that a merge
is about to happen (so we can all update our local files
first!) is being handled great by Markus.

John Huddleston, P.E.
USDA Computer Engineer
huddleston at gpsr.colostate.edu
(970) 490-8352