[GRASS5] New initialization code

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Nov 29 12:19:54 EST 2000

Hi Eric,

the cygwin setup is something like Unix inside Windows.
You can only start the grass command shell from within the cygwin shell
(bash). It would be very complicated to set up a batch script to start
the grass shell, as e. g. the symbolic links are simulated on Win9x by
the cygwin shell. And you'll not be able to execute shell scripts, as
the magic line #!/bin/sh is only interpreted by the cygwin shell.

If you start the X server from within the cygwin shell, the DISPLAY env
var will be set. I have not tested if the X11R6.4 X server sets the
DISPLAY var for the user env in windows.

I have tested that i can run the old grass5 shell from within cygwin.
Apart from the problems with the keys (there is IMHO an unrecognized
terminal type set) it already works. You can do everything except the
d.* functions and tcltkgrass/wish scripts.

cu,

Andreas