[GRASS5] configure.in Wants testers...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Nov 29 10:49:25 EST 2000

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:17:16AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Ahh, OK, I went looking into why this doesn't seem to work for SGI and
> found on the man page for sh the following:
>
> Command Substitution
> The standard output from a command enclosed in parentheses preceded by a
> dollar sign ( $() ) or a pair of grave accents (``) may be used as part
> or all of a word; trailing newlines are removed.
>
> Obviously it is supposed to work on SGI's, they even claim the (``)
> style to be archaic. However the following script
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> qwer=$(pwd)
> asdf=`pwd`
> echo $qwer
> echo $asdf
>
> Produces the following output
>
> $(pwd)
> /usr/people/jhickey/testDir/sh
>
> Thus, it obviously does not work on SGI as it is supposed to. I am due
> for an OS upgrade soon, so if this problem is not solved with the
> upgrade, I will try to submit a bug report to SGI.
>
> In the meantime, would it be safe to change the SRCDIR code in
> configure.in to `pwd` instead of $(pwd)? Perhaps we can add a comment to
> change it back to $(pwd) when SGI fixes this bug. Just an idea.

I made some changes like this last night.  Not sure if I got them all,
but I think so.  I was using the $(...) syntax for grep the
TK_VERSION/TCL_VERSION and for "pwd", both are using `...` now.

> BTW, do you want me to submit the bindir change or do you want to? I
> didn't change it yesterday because I didn't have time to test --bindir
> and --with-bindir. I tested them today and --bindir seems to work, but
> --with-bindir does not, but then I can't find --with-bindir in the
> configure.in file. Please let me know what you want to do.

--with-bindir was removed (it will silently be ignored by configure).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>