[GRASS5] New initialization code

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Nov 29 07:36:59 EST 2000

Hi Justin, Hi Eric,

the $DISPLAY is IMHO the best solution to the discussed problem.
Check if $DISPLAY is set and you know for sure that X is running.
If you next search for the wish executable in the user path i think that
in most of the cases this should work and we can start with the GUI
first. Otherwise a fallback to text mode would be ok.
This applies to the windows setup too, as the DISPLAY variable is set
only if X is running (The X server seems still to be a little unstable).
I'll check for the name of wish/tk shell in cygwin later.

Thanks Eric for this idea.
I agree that it is desirable to start up with a nice GUI. Most software,
even if using commands typed in a window, uses a GUI today.

Andreas

Justin Hickey wrote:

> Hi Eric
>
> "Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> > One thing you should consider too, is checking if the $DISPLAY
> > environment variable is set.  Could be a user is running in a console
> > only mode (console, telnet, ssh with no X forwarding).  Haven't a clue
> > about Windows in this regard.
>
> Oooh! Good catch, I never thought of that one. I'll look into it. Does
> this problem even apply on Windows?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
> High Performance Computing Center
> National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC)
> Bangkok, Thailand

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net