[GRASS5] New initialization code

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 28 12:48:01 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:19:55PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> i can not test this right now.
> But i think that the grass5 -text will work. But it will further confuse
> users if they just issue grass5 and they get windows with no useful
> information popping up.
Hi Andreas,

I agree - so a test for wish must be there. If it fails, the init
routine must fall back to text. Then nothing bad could happen.

> We must change all the documentation, so that i think that it will be
> simpler to keep the default as it is. In my eyes grass5 -tclwhatever for
> the new and grass5 (=grass5 -text) for the old behaviour will be simpler
> to recognize/learn.
Well, to attract more users, some GUI is required. I am working
command line (nearly) only, but I am teaching students (so I get
impressions about the average user's expectations). See my
other mail as well.
Changing docs: I can't see that this is a big task. The new graphical
login is not that difficult to understand, but the text entry is for
newbies. My experience so far...

> On my linux installation i get the same error message that Eric
> describes. See attached error.txt.
> Error in startup script: couldn't read file "wish8.0": no such file or directory

Can we agree to program "wish" everywhere. Seems to be existing on
SuSe platforms. Others? Then we avoid annoying this version checking.

Regards

 Markus