[GRASS5] New initialization code

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 28 12:39:16 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:57:51PM +0900, GRASS wrote:
> From: Andreas Lange <Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de>
> >
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > i can not test this right now.
> > But i think that the grass5 -text will work. But it will further confuse
> > users if they just issue grass5 and they get windows with no useful
> > information popping up.
> > We must change all the documentation, so that i think that it will be
> > simpler to keep the default as it is. In my eyes grass5 -tclwhatever for
> > the new and grass5 (=grass5 -text) for the old behaviour will be simpler
> > to recognize/learn.
> >
> > On my linux installation i get the same error message that Eric
> > describes. See attached error.txt.
> > Sorry, i am in a hurry now.
> >
> > cu,
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> > Justin Hickey wrote:
> > > I assume that the behaviour is the same as before if you use "grass5
> > > -text"? If not, then could you please indicate what the new behaviour
> > > is? I didn't change how tcltkgrass works from the command line so it
> > > should be the same if you start with the old text interface.
> > >

> I fully agree to this. I personally dislike GUI system, it's too hard to use.
> moving mouse, focusing pointer, clicking...
> Anyway, to be consistent it would be better to start with text mode w/o flag.
>
> Justin, you told me that a noninteractive startup, which i've added, should
> be consistent.  I think it's the same problem.

Hi all,

it seems to become a more general discussion. From the *average* user's
view I am sure that gui startup is appreciated. GRASS is looking very oldish
if starting with text window. Even mouse selecting of the locations (I use
several in parallel) is very convenient. But, I don't use GUI within GRASS.
Here I prefer to work command line.

A proposal:
We keep the graphical startup as default, *but*, if the users starts:
  grass5 -text
this is stored as new default in .grassrc5. Next time simply
  grass5
would start GRASS in *text* mode. Of course the new default would be
overridden if
  grass5 -tcltk
was started. Like that only once the user's preference has to be set,
and all can feel happy :-)
What about this idea as a compromise (if it's feasible, hi Justin)?

Markus