[GRASS5] configure.in Wants testers...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Nov 28 11:34:48 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:26:38PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> I would have thought so but that is the current problem on my system.
> The @SRCDIR@ variable is substituted with $(pwd) without executing the
> pwd command. So it is now a make variable called pwd which is empty.
> However, I did notice in that section of configure.in, that there are
> brace brackets {} used for $top_srcdir but parenthesis () used for $pwd.
> Could that be the problem? Just a wild guess.

Well here's my understanding:

foo=${bar}   # Perform variable expansion on "bar", put result in foo.

foo=$(bar)   # Execute "bar" in a subshell, put result in foo.

The $(cmd) syntax is supposed to be the portable equivalent of `cmd`,
only special characters $ \ and * (I think) are not treated as
"metacharacters".

This $(...) syntax is different from Makefile $(...) which apparently is
variable substitution/expansion.

Bye,
--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>