[GRASS5] New initialization code

GRASS grass at geni.knu.ac.kr
Tue Nov 28 09:57:51 EST 2000

From: Andreas Lange <Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de>

> Hi Justin,
>
> i can not test this right now.
> But i think that the grass5 -text will work. But it will further confuse
> users if they just issue grass5 and they get windows with no useful
> information popping up.
> We must change all the documentation, so that i think that it will be
> simpler to keep the default as it is. In my eyes grass5 -tclwhatever for
> the new and grass5 (=grass5 -text) for the old behaviour will be simpler
> to recognize/learn.
>
> On my linux installation i get the same error message that Eric
> describes. See attached error.txt.
> Sorry, i am in a hurry now.
>
> cu,
>
> Andreas
>
> Justin Hickey wrote:
> > I assume that the behaviour is the same as before if you use "grass5
> > -text"? If not, then could you please indicate what the new behaviour
> > is? I didn't change how tcltkgrass works from the command line so it
> > should be the same if you start with the old text interface.

I fully agree to this. I personally dislike GUI system, it's too hard to use.
moving mouse, focusing pointer, clicking...
Anyway, to be consistent it would be better to start with text mode w/o flag.

Justin, you told me that a noninteractive startup, which i've added, should
be consistent.  I think it's the same problem.

Yours,
Huidae Cho