[GRASS5] New initialization code

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 28 08:45:15 EST 2000

[cc to grass5]

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:19:31PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:

> > > I don't understand, it is put in ($UNIX_BIN)/grass$(NAME_VER) not
> > > $GISBASE/bin ???
> >
> > Yes, it is put into $GISBASE/bin. But as this directory is not in
> > PATH, the user cannot start GRASS :-)
> > The start script has to geo into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin to
> > be found. The hacked configure sets UNIX_BIN to /usr/local/bin,
> > the new configure sets UNIX_BIN to /usr/local/grass5/bin
> >
> > Do you see the problem? Users don't want to start
> > /usr/local/grass5/bin/grass5
> > but simply
> > grass5
> > :-)
>
> If the problem is that $(UNIX_BIN) is being defined as the same as
> $GISBASE, then the problem is in configure, not the Gmakefile. If we
> can't get a reasonable default for bindir in configure (either
> /usr/local/bin - what it should be or /usr/bin - I disagree with this
> but if that's the only way ok) then we will have to tell users to use
> the --with-bindir option to configure.

Hi Justin,
I don't fully get  what you dislike, is it that I prefer "grass5" to be
stored outside of $GISBASE?

>From the Linux view I would prefer this way:
The average linux user who has a compile should be able to run:

configure    # without annoying extra parameters
make install
grass5

This startup script should go somewhere here:
echo $PATH
/home/neteler/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:.

If you would have to copy it manually from $GISBASE/bin to /usr/[local/]bin,
that's extra work... Perhaps you think the same?!

Yours

 Markus