[GRASS5] Removing LZW

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 28 05:23:11 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 01:33:47AM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> >Well nobody seems interested, so I've uploaded versions of get_row.c and
> >put_row.c that *can* use the new G_zlib_*() compression routines in
> >flate.c.  By default, they still use the G_lzw_*() compression routines.

Erik,
thanks for your efforts, it is apprecitated.
However I am in no position to help you testing right now.

> I think it would be a shame to remove the LZW compression.
>
> Is there anyway that I may help?  Shall I contact the patent holders?
> It seems that they should make an exception for open-source software,
> after all they did create a _STANDARD_.

Believe me, this is useless.
Really giving an exception to Free Software would be equal to
completly give up right to the patent, which Unisys will never do.
They are known for not even giving exceptions to hobby proprietory
software.

Regards,
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)
FSF Europe					      (www.fsfeurope.org)