[GRASS5] Re: notation standardisation

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Nov 28 04:37:31 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 09:04:28AM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The idea to implement the attributes for sites files with a database
> sounds very good.  But i would recommend the DBMI interface instead of
> Xbase, as Xbase IMHO has problems with portability from little endian
> to big endian machines and with localization/internationalization.

Well, I'm thinking of vector too (and maybe CELL or Reclass??).  But,
your appraisal of Xbase is essentially what I thought.  I only mentioned
it.  I wasn't advocating it.  I have done searches for database
libraries that could be "plugged" into GRASS, but haven't found anything
that seems to fit the bill.

> Maybe other dbms might be an alternative too, like Berkeley db. With
> the DBMI it should be possible to make use of different systems.

I don't think Berkeley db supports the kind of strong typing for fields
I'm interested in.  I think it's look-ups might be slow for large
database files as well.  This is a long range TODO thing...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>