[GRASS5] How to manage versions of perl and wish?

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Nov 28 02:48:33 EST 2000

Hi Markus,

i feel that it is a futile effort to try to adapt to _every_ possible
path/version name of perl and wish.

I think we should use the path from the Linux/Unix File system standard
for perl and wish (have to look which that is). If the perl binary is
installed in another path, someone with root priviledges will have to
create a link.

With wish i think that it is generally bad to code a version number into
any script, as this means that updating tcltk will break the paths. Why
not use wish and create a link from wish8.0 to wish?
I have on one computer different versions of tk around and the link to
wish allows to switch between them. On cygwin the wish shell that is
linked with the Win API (so to create windows not on X11, but on native
windows) has the name itkwish8.0.exe.

I personally don't like the "wish search mechanism" as it is now, this
is confusing and will give unwanted results if several versions of
tcl/tk are installed in different paths.

cu,

Andreas

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently we are facing two problems with version dependencies
> and/or paths for scripts:
>
> - perl: how to manage the different paths?
>   Proposals:
>     - write a *general* wrapper searching the perl location on startup
>     - store it in GRASS environment and expand on script startup
>       #! $(PERL)
>       (is this portable?)
>
>   Affected modules:
>    - g.html2man
>    - others?
>
> - wish: unfortunately the version number is coded into wish. At least
>   we have to check if only wish4.2 is installed (unsupported).
>   Proposals:
>     - write a *general* wrapper searching the wish name and location on
>       startup (I have tried that for tcltkgrass, see bin/tcltkgrass)
>     - store it in GRASS environment and expand on script startup
>       (is this portable?)
>   Affected modules:
>    - tcltkgrass
>    - nviz
>    - d.dm
>    - others?
>
> We need an agreement here. The version numbers shouldn't be hardcoded into
> the modules itself.
>
> Regards
>
>  Markus
>
> PS: Just facing the problem:
>  d.dm
>  /usr/local/grass5/scripts/d.dm: exec: wish8.0: not found

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net