[GRASS5] New initialization code

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Nov 28 00:45:01 EST 2000

Hello all

I have just commited code to CVS for a new initialization script. Please
update the src/general/init and src/tcltkgrass directories and then run
gmake5 in these two directories. This should (I hope) create a new
grass5 script.

The new script will use tcltkgrass by default and bring up a window to
ask for the Location and Mapset. If wish is not found on the system, it
will default to the old text interface. Also flags can be passed to
grass5 to indicate which interface you want.

grass5 -tcltk => Tcl/Tk interface
grass5 -text => text based interface

For those who choose the text based interface but still want to run
tcltkgrass just type tcltkgrass as always.

Finally a help flag is also available for the grass5 script, valid flags
are "-h", "-help", "--help", and "help". Huidae, could you please edit
the src/general/init/grass.src file to update the usage message to
comply with the flags you added to start grass given default locations
and mapsets? I could not remember how you intended the flags to be used.

Note that this is only a simple interface for the grass 5 stable
release. I am still working on a more detailed interface for grass 5.1.

As always, please send any problems or comments to this list.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center